http://www.extremeheadphones.com/ex-29.html - Over the ear, high isolation - Ordered these ($20)
http://www.etymotic.com/ - Ear Pieces, might be interesting. Ordered the ER-6 ($75), no longer made.
http://www.ncjweb.com/janfeb07ncj.php?backissue=2006 - great article about the issue
I used my new Ear Pieces for ARRL_SSCW_2009 and they worked great! They were nice and light. No headphones smashing my ears down.
- Bring Q-Tips to take care of the itching (if any)
- In SO2R, you can change radio audio feeds by swapping around ear pieces
- Noise canceling headphones are still useful over the ear pieces. The ear pieces went far enough into my ear canal that the headphones fit comfortably.
- The ear muffs were very tight. The provide excellent isolation, but I would only use them if the additional isolation is really necessary
- I could wear my glasses
- Noticed a lot of 'hiss' - the article suggests an attenuator
- Reduced fatigue as per the NCJ article. Kept monitor volume level low